You’ve probably seen electric toothbrushes sold online or in shopping malls and wondered why anyone would buy them when they can get the regular 3-toothbrush value pack for way less.
You do get what you pay for in this case, as it all goes back to having a cleaner, brighter smile!
See, most people aren’t brushing correctly or reaching into all parts of their teeth with their manual toothbrush. The heads of electric toothbrushes, however, vibrate at high speeds with micro-movements, and are scientifically engineered to be able to reach into all the hard-to-reach corners of your mouth.
By doing this, an electric toothbrush can remove a lot of plaque and bacteria that might be in these corners.
This has lots of downstream benefits including:
- Reduced risk of tooth decay
- Improved gum health
- A reduction in bad breath
Eh still not convinced why I should make the switch…
You’re probably wondering if electric toothbrushes are miles better than a regular one at removing plaque and taking care of your oral health.
Remove plaque like a boss
Studies show that electric toothbrushes remove plaque by up to 21% more effectively than manual ones!
And there are three reasons why:
- Sonic vibrations allow for micro-movements, which clean more deeply. The vibrations go up to 40,000/minute , now there’s no way brushing manually can do that!
- Bristles on an electric toothbrush can be in thinner and pointier clusters, which helps deliver the kind of targeted cleaning that can help improve your oral health. This type of bristles are also suitable for anyone with braces or any dental restorations.
- Unlike manual brushing, an electric toothbrush provides consistent power throughout your brushing, which gives you a uniform clean.
Perhaps this will show you what we mean by effectiveness!
Gentler on teeth
You may not know this, but you’re probably brushing your teeth incorrectly.
The right brushing technique should achieve a perfect balance between:
- Getting the toothbrush close to your gums so all the plaque is removed
- Not pressing too hard and causing damage to your teeth and gums
The second technique is usually where most people fail.
Brushing with too much force can cause your gums to pull away from your teeth, which leaves the lower part of your teeth vulnerable to the damage caused by hard brushing.
There are so many electric toothbrushes out there - how to choose??
Number of vibrations
Every electric toothbrush vibrates, but not all do it at the same speeds. Just so you know, electronic toothbrushes can be classified according to the speed of their movements, which therefore, affects how they clean your teeth.
And the to most popular types found in Malaysia are:
- Sonic Toothbrushes that rely on large sweeping brush stroke motions to clean the teeth, where the bristles on the brush head sweep away food particles and bacteria. Check out Zenyum’s Sonic Toothbrush here!
- Ultrasonic Toothbrushes that do not rely on physical sweeping motions but by more powerful vibrations to break up bacterial chains that form the plaque.
Manual toothbrushes come nowhere near electric toothbrushes as far as oscillations and brush movements are concerned. So, using an electric toothbrush will give you a more thorough cleaning than any manual brush.
Nonetheless, you might want to note that ultrasonic toothbrushes are going to cost you more than sonic ones. It all boils down to your budget and preferred cleaning intensity.
Multiple modes of cleaning
Peek at an electric toothbrush’s packaging, and you’re likely to see multiple cleaning modes available.
Some electric toothbrushes do just one thing, others two, but you might ask, “Do my teeth even need multiple cleaning modes?”
See, cleaning modes are pretty similar to Pokémon — it’s tempting to catch them all but all you need is one reliable Pikachu.
Keep a lookout for specific modes that suit your needs.
Let’s say you have sensitive teeth or you’re completely new to electric toothbrushes and their power scares you. The one mode your electric toothbrush should offer you is the ‘sensitive’ one for a gentle, yet thorough cleaning.
We’ve all heard this since we were kids — it’s important to brush your teeth continuously for 2 minutes. But, who keeps track of the time?
Get an electric toothbrush equipped with an in-built timer–it automatically alerts you whenever you’ve hit your required brushing duration!
#MakeTheSwitch with Sonic
If you didn’t know by now, Zenyum also makes electric toothbrushes to electrify your brushing routine!
Designed with the input of regional dentists, our travel-friendly SonicGo and premium Sonic electric toothbrushes come with three cleaning modes:
- Clean: the everyday mode for deep cleaning
- Gentle: for those who have sensitive teeth or are new to sonic brushing
- White: a higher-speed mode for a polishing effect that gets rid of stubborn stains.
With thousands of sonic vibrations in a minute, and with a 2-minute timer to perfect your routine, you’ll be able to step up your brushing game in no time!
So, you’re ready to throw out your sad old toothbrush and wake up to an electrifying brushing routine every morning?
Make the switch for healthier teeth. Now perhaps you’d also be interested to know how to brush your teeth properly.